Friday, October 26, 2012

Esta Bien!

Some gifts we got from some elders in our zone who left for Florida
This week pretty much flew by and it wasn't even that busy. It was just a normal week, but it was probably because I finally have everything down as far as planning and using my study time effectively which helps a ton. Thursdays are the best because those are the days we have gym first thing in the morning, then service, then TRC (where we go teach church members in Spanish). It sounds weird, but service actually isn't that bad. We just go to another residence hall do things like take out trash and wash windows. It's especially fun if I have Elder Clement around because he's always in a good mood and has a smile on his face no matter what.
Me and Elder Aiono who is waiting for his visa so he can go to Peru
on our weekly Sunday walk to the temple
The Crew - Our weekly Sunday walk to the temple

Some random guy who wanted to take a picture with me
on our weekly Sunday walk to the temple
The TRC this week was the best so far too, because I can tell there's a huge difference between what I can understand and say compared to last week. I'm getting really confident in my Spanish which might have actually been a bad thing because we kinda have just been having good conversations with the people rather than actually do what we are there to do which is teach about the doctrine. Before all we were doing was shoving doctrine down their throats too (mostly because it was pretty much all we knew how to say) so it looks like we need to find a good middle ground.
I like to think my comp and I are doing better. We are studying and praying together more and are open with each other (maybe a little too open). We have this ongoing argument about how much scripture we use in our lessons because he pretty much wants to just read for half a hour and I want to actually teach it in my own words so they can understand it better. Don't worry though, we'll figure it out.
We got our first snow yesterday! I was so surprised when I saw that it was actually sticking too. I don't think I have ever seen snow in October before. I would have got a picture, but it melted by noon. I'll get it next time!
In our Sunday devotional last week one of the speakers said that missionary applications jumped to 471% and went from 70 a week to like 5,000. THAT'S NUTS! They are going to make a lot of changes around here so they can fit everybody. I'm so excited for all of the new missionaries who get to headline this huge change. Keep up the good work! They say that our group of missionaries will be the first who train the newbies out in the field. Pretty exciting! I still have one month more to go though!
Thank you all so much for all your letters and support. I love it!
Hasta Luego!
                   Elder Shurtliff
The sign says:  This lawn area is CLOSED for the season.Do NOT come in here for ANY reason. The lawn is not growing and you are wearing it out. THIS MEANS YOU! Be Obedient!!!
This is the famous Tree at the MTC that everyone tells you to smell and they closed it off with the ultimate guilt trip. BUMMER

No comments:

Post a Comment